Display unit, potentiometer

Forum for posting topics and questions about anything.
Dave

Display unit, potentiometer

Post by Dave » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi all,
I'm an amateur radio operator, I've built myself a Magnetic Loop consisting of copper loop, Vacuum capacitor and a Unipolar stepper motor.
Connected between the vac cap and the stepper motor is a multi turn potentiometer (the cap and potentiometer both have ten turns from start to finish)
The potentiometer is rated from 1 volt to 10 volts.
Question:
Is it possible for the Arduino and a display unit to read the incoming volts from the pot and display them as MHz?
For example can I program the Arduino to read 5v from pot and tell the display to show 7.1MHz?
Which means as I turn the pot ten turns from 1v up to 10v the display will actually show 3.5MHz to 21.1MHz...
Is that possible?
I know I could use a 10v moving coil meter but I want to keep it "digital" if possible.
Thanks for any help.
Regards Dave.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Display unit, potentiometer

Post by andrew » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:16 am

Yes this is possible as the Arduino boards have analogue input pins that allow them to read in an analogue voltage and convert it to a number. The only issue is that they can only measure voltages up to a maximum of 5V. You will therefore need to divide your voltage by 2 before applying it to one of the analogue pins of the Arduino. The easiest way to do this would be with a potential divider of say a couple of 5K resistors but as your pot is a relatively large value this would have a loading effect on it and make it slightly non-linear.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Dave

Re: Display unit, potentiometer

Post by Dave » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:58 pm

Thanks for that Andrew,
I'll see if I can got hold of a multi turn 5v potentiometer.

Return to “General Discussion”