HCARDU0035 connected to an Easy Driver board

Forum for posting topics and questions about anything.
lesthorn

HCARDU0035 connected to an Easy Driver board

Post by lesthorn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:01 pm

Can I plug the output of my 5V 4-phase DC Gear Stepper Step Motor + Driver Board into an Easy Driver board, please?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: HCARDU0035 connected to an Easy Driver board

Post by andrew » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:16 pm

While I wouldn't expect it to damage anything it's not really speced to work. That said it may work but I can see a couple of possible issues. First of all I belive the easy drivers minimum drive current is about 150mA which is more than the load current of the stepper motor. The second problem is that the stepper motor is rated at 5V which you would have to use as the supply voltage to the module. But the minimum voltage to the driver is speced at 7v. I suspect however that this is because it is the minimum voltage required by the on board regulator that supplies the logic side of the driver. You can however configure this regulator to 3.3V so if you can interface to 3.3V levels for the logic side you could configure the regulator to 3.3V and power the module from 5V. The short answer though is if you have one you can try it but if not I don't recommend buying one for this purpose.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

lesthorn

Re: HCARDU0035 connected to an Easy Driver board

Post by lesthorn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:10 pm

I do have one, but you have raised issues that I hadn't considered. Many thanks.

Return to “General Discussion”