Quick question about the HCARDU0011 USB to Serial Adapter

Forum for posting topics and questions about anything.
jozza65

Quick question about the HCARDU0011 USB to Serial Adapter

Post by jozza65 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi, just received this in the post, thanks. I was wondering if I need to do anything to get a 5V logic out on this card? I see there are a couple of solder pads marked 3.3V and 5V; do I need to bridge these to get 5V? If so, will 5V logic come from the output port marked 3.3V on the card? Also, do I need to do this in order to program an Arduino Mini/Nano or can I just connect the USB Adapter to the Arduino as it is?

Also, a pin diagram or notes on which pin of the USB Adapter to connect to which pin on the Arduino would be much appreciated..

(I did take a look in the other forums here, but couldn't find the HCARDU0011 referenced anywhere).

Thanks

John

jozza65

Re: Quick question about the HCARDU0011 USB to Serial Adapte

Post by jozza65 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:53 am

Ok, spent a little time this evening and I've got it working fine, so I'm going to answer my own question in case it helps anyone else :D

First off, there was another topic about this in the , I didn't spot it :oops: It's in the Other Topics forum - http://forum.hobbycomponents.com/viewto ... =19&t=1495

So first off, I downloaded the driver from the link given, and plugged the controller into the USB on the PC, and set it up as a COM port.

A quick search on the web suggested that the 3.3V pin works at 5V as standard, so I assumed no solder bridge or jumper was needed.

Next, I connected to the USB Adapter to the Arduino Mini as follows:-

GND -> GND
VBUS -> 5V
TXD -> RXD
RXD -> TXD
DTR -> RESET (via a capacitor)

Once that was done, I loaded up Arduino blink sketch, and tried uploading to the Mini, but no joy. So I went into the COM port settings in Windows Device Manager, and set it to 9600,N,8,1 with Hardware flow control.

Result: All working nicely, the code gets uploaded to the Arduino Mini without me having to juggle the reset button like I used to have to do when programming the Mini from a Duo, so I am now a happy fellow 8-)

Hope the above is helpful to anyone who isn't 100% confident on how to use this adapter!

John

Return to “General Discussion”