2N7000 N channel MOSFET compatible in this transistor kit?

Forum for posting topics and questions about anything.
lardconcepts

2N7000 N channel MOSFET compatible in this transistor kit?

Post by lardconcepts » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:01 am

Morning! I'm not a transistor expert, but I've been told I need 1 x 2N7000 N-CHANNEL MOSFET to wire my WINSTAR OLED to my Arduino.
I've been googling the components in this kit - none the wiser if any are suitable!
http://hobbycomponents.com/index.php/11 ... c1815.html

If not, I'm about to place an order for over £30 anyway - do you have one or possibly 2 2N7000s kicking around you'd just drop into the envelope for me, save me going "elsewhere" for just this one component?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: 2N7000 N channel MOSFET compatible in this transistor ki

Post by andrew » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:34 am

Unfortunately we don't have any of those parts. What do you need to use it for, driving the back light?
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

lardconcepts

Post by lardconcepts » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:45 am

No problems about not carrying the parts. As for WHY - well, I was just following this:
https://github.com/lukecyca/WinstarOLED/ and he writes:
The original LiquidCrystal library doesn't correctly initialize or reset Winstar OLED devices, so this circuit controls the OLED power via a MOSFET-N. The following sample circuit shows the default pins for the library.

Code: Select all

arduino                           OLED
  Vcc ------------------------------ Vcc
               MOSFET-N (d) -------- GND
  GND -------- MOSFET-N (s)
  D9  -------- MOSFET-N (g)
I've posted a question over there, but he might not reply for days. I don't know enough about why it's there to know what I could use instead. I mean, yes, I understand what a transistor does, but not in this case :)

Anyway, I know this isn't your problem, but if you CAN suggest anything alternative/a workaround, that'd be very helpful!

BTW, I know Saturday delivery isn't guaranteed or promised, but what's the realistic last time to order today (Friday) to ensure it leaves today, assuming items are in stock of course?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:30 pm

Ok it looks like they are using it so that you can turn off the screen with minimum leakage current. This would only be important if you are using it with a battery application and you need to save every last drop of power? If you don't need to turn the screen off then the transistor shouldn't be necessary.

Edit, scrub this, I just noticed the comment. They are using it as a reset. See my next post as a suggestion.
BTW, I know Saturday delivery isn't guaranteed or promised, but what's the realistic last time to order today (Friday) to ensure it leaves today, assuming items are in stock of course?
You would need to put the order through within the next 30 mins via first class post. If you do it is likely that you will receive it by tomorrow but please keep in mind that Royal Mail first class is not guaranteed to be delivered in one day. If you do please email us so that we can expedite your order.
Last edited by andrew on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:35 pm

but if you CAN suggest anything alternative/a workaround, that'd be very helpful!
If you do need a transistor A FET would be more ideal but there are transistors in our transistor kit that should work fine such as the S8050. Unfortunately at the moment we don't sell transistors separately.

Edit:

You will also need a resistor (about 1K to 10K) between D9 and the transistor.

lardconcepts

Post by lardconcepts » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:20 pm

andrew wrote:You would need to put the order through within the next 30 mins via first class post
Thanks for going above and beyond the call of duty, Andrew! Order placed in the nick of time, email sent, fingers crossed!

Return to “General Discussion”