Screw Shield V2 (HCARDU0074)

admin
Site Admin

Screw Shield V2 (HCARDU0074)

Post by admin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:57 pm

This Screw Shield is a terminal expansion board which can be stacked directly on the female pins of an Arduino uno/mega/leonardo and allows easy connection for many sensor parts with no soldering required. This shield set (2 Boards) is fully Arduino compatible.

You can order yours here

ChrisSharp

Re: Screw Shield V2 (HCARDU0074)

Post by ChrisSharp » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:35 pm

There are 16 pins on the digital side labelled V, but there is no voltage on them, unlike the six V pins on the analogue side which have 5 volts on them.

I can't work out how 5v could get to the digital side unless AREF can be configured as an 5v output.

Am I missing something? Or is a jumper across from 5v on the analogue side required.

cheers
chris

PS I have the Screw Shield attached to a HC UNO+

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:22 am

There are 16 pins on the digital side labelled V, but there is no voltage on them, unlike the six V pins on the analogue side which have 5 volts on them.

I can't work out how 5v could get to the digital side unless AREF can be configured as an 5v output.

Am I missing something? Or is a jumper across from 5v on the analogue side required.

Looking at the layout of those pins I think they are intended for directly connecting servos to them. The problem with servos is they can take a lot of power. Even the little ones can take in excess of 1A and as such you wouldn't want to power them from the 5V source of your Arduino as it would overload it. So the 16 'V' pins on the digital side are instead connected to the VCC terminal block so you can connect your own separate external 5V supply.

Edit: PLEASE NOTE servos cannot be directly connected to these headers as the 5V and GND pins are in the orientation for a standard servo header.
Last edited by andrew on Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

ChrisSharp

Post by ChrisSharp » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:36 am

Thanks. That makes sense.
I'm using it as a substitute for the Arduino Compatible Sensor Shield V4.0 (HCARDU0015) so was thinking of it more from a sensor point of view rather than a servo. Now you have pointed out the servo issue I can see the benefit of those pins no being connected. And it's easy enough to jumper across 5V when I'm using low current devices.

ChrisSharp

Post by ChrisSharp » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:37 pm

andrew wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:22 am

Looking at the layout of those pins I think they are intended for directly connecting servos to them. The problem with servos is they can take a lot of power. Even the little ones can take in excess of 1A and as such you wouldn't want to power them from the 5V source of your Arduino as it would overload it. So the 16 'V' pins on the digital side are instead connected to the VCC terminal block so you can connect your own separate external 5V supply.
I'm finally using this board with a servo. Took me a while to realise, but the pin order puts ground on the middle pin rather than 5v, so I can't plug a servo directly on to the rows of three pins. It's OK for sensors when the 5v line is bridged across.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:33 pm

You are correct! I wonder if it's a pinout error or servo's were just not though about. I'll edit my OP just in case somebody reads it and not the rest.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Return to “Arduino Shields”