Multifunction shield for Arduino Uno (HCARDU0085)

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Multifunction shield for Arduino Uno (HCARDU0085)

Post by andrew » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:09 am

LED Code is wrong, correct code for LED sketch below.
Also because of the 'L' led (i think) LED D1 is always illuminated

CODE: SELECT ALL
/* Set each pin to outputs */
pinMode(LED[1], OUTPUT);
pinMode(LED[2], OUTPUT);
pinMode(LED[3], OUTPUT);
pinMode(LED[4], OUTPUT);
Ah, I see what the problem is, your pasted code should actually read:

Code: Select all

/* Set each pin to outputs */
  pinMode(LED[0], OUTPUT);
  pinMode(LED[1], OUTPUT);
  pinMode(LED[2], OUTPUT);
  pinMode(LED[3], OUTPUT);
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

gadjet

Post by gadjet » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:53 am

Here's an example of the problem with the original buzzer code

Code: Select all

void setup()
{
  /* Set the buzzer pin to an output and turn the buzzer off */
  pinMode(POT_DIO, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(POT_DIO, OFF);
}
The pinMode and digitalwrite should be to "buzzer_IO, OFF" not POT_DIO. This also occurs elsewhere in the code, I copied and pasted the original and it definitely doesn't work.

Yes I've contacted you via ebay thanks.

gadjet

Post by gadjet » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:32 am

I think I've spotted the issue with LED D1 being permanently on. The existing LED on the UNO uses a 5V output to switch it on whereas your LED relies on a GND to switch on the LED this means that there is current flow between 5V and Gnd through both LEDs.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:53 am

The pinMode and digitalwrite should be to "buzzer_IO, OFF" not POT_DIO. This also occurs elsewhere in the code, I copied and pasted the original and it definitely doesn't work.
This is really bizarre, I still have the window open from when I tested it this morning and the code is correct. The posted version must have been an unfinished version. I've now updated the sketch with the version I have and should work fine. We've only just put this product on sale so you are probably the first person to use this code.

I think I've spotted the issue with LED D1 being permanently on. The existing LED on the UNO uses a 5V output to switch it on whereas your LED relies on a GND to switch on the LED this means that there is current flow between 5V and Gnd through both LEDs.

The section of schematic you have posted appears to be from a really old design (pre 2011) and Uno's built to reference designs for the past few years do not have the LED connected to pin 13 in this way. See here for reference:

http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/Ardui ... ematic.pdf

This would indeed explain why you are having the problem with this LED, but your board would have to be very old and not conform to at least the last two major Uno revisions?

I don't directly deal with the eBay messages but you should expect a reply from someone today.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

gadjet

Post by gadjet » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks for the quick feedback.
Based on information found here http://startingelectronics.com/articles ... fferences/ showing the differences between the original UNO, R2 and R3 it looks like both the UNO and the R2 versions had the same LED circuit (this will be a lot of boards) the R3 added an unused opamp to buffer the LED.
Image.

If my information is correct you may receive quite a few complaints, I think you should at least confirm the operation in Uno, R2 and R3 and state any compatibility issues in your details.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:03 pm

We will add a note to the description that one LED is not functional with older design Uno's. I don't think this will make a difference to buyers but will stop confusion over this LED with old Uno's, and as you said will avoid any future complaints from these customers. I should point out that if the loss of functionality from this one LED is an issue for you, we can accept it back for a refund (whether your shield is functioning or or not).

gadjet

Post by gadjet » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:39 pm

Im not too bothered by the led, I can always remove the led from the uno.

My big issue is with the segment stuck on the display, I am going to try the code again from the forum and if it stil does it I'll feedback via ebay case.

Thanks for your help.

gadjet

Post by gadjet » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi,
I've found out what the problem is, I don't know why I didn't spot it before :oops: one of the pins on the display is contacting the USB housing on the UNO therefore grounding the segment and keeping it illuminated.

I do think this will happen to most people who purchase the module.

I've also fed back via ebay.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:58 pm

This can be an issue for a lot of different types of shields if the have components above the USB connector. I'm going to create an FAQ ad add this to it.

gadjet

Post by gadjet » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:25 pm

:D :D :D
Who writes this stuff .... :o come on guys/girls please!
Check that you have the shield firmly inserted into your Arduino board and that part of the shield is touching the Arduino's USB connector casing.
That's exactly what you shouldn't do !!!!!!

either push the shield in only so far so that the pin doesn't touch the USB Housing or, as I did, glue a piece of very thin plastic on the top of the housing, see pic.

Return to “Arduino Shields”