Arduino Ethernet W5100 Network Shield (HCARDU0034)

ale.mas@hotmail.it

Re: Arduino Ethernet W5100 Network Shield (HCARDU0034)

Post by ale.mas@hotmail.it » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:59 pm

hi, I have the same iussue of frank984 (the only difference is the color of the L led that is yellow) can you help me? i already tried to power my arduino UNO through a 9V battery and a usb port of a desktop pc but i' am still not able to run your sketch.
Regards

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:34 pm

With your shield powered and connected to your router are you seeing any of the other LED's on the shield illuminated ? If so, could you tell me which ones thanks.
i already tried to power my arduino UNO through a 9V battery and a usb port of a desktop pc but i' am still not able to run your sketch.
Just to clarify are you saying that you are unable to access it from a browser, or is to something more fundamental like you are unable to compile the sketch?
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

ale.mas@hotmail.it

Post by ale.mas@hotmail.it » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:11 pm

the situation is totally the same of the other user:

the ONLY leds enlighted on the ethernet shield are the PWR(red) and the L yellow the other leds are dead, i never was able to see their colors.

On the Arduino board there are the pwr led and the L led enlighted.

There is no contact between the two boards.

i choised the ip address according with the rules of my lan.

Also i tried to disabling the DHCP server in the router and i fixed every ip of avery device connected on my LAN.

I CAN COMPILE AND LOAD the sketch, but nothing appens,i have the same error page of frank984 if i type the ip address in the browser, the router don't see the board in the "device linked" page and if i ping the board i have no response.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:56 am

Thanks for clarifying. As mentioned before, even without any sketch running you should be seeing more LED's illuminated so it is not a software issue. The only other thing we can suggest is to try reseting your Arduino and shield via the reset button on the shield just incase it is some how locked up. Failing this I'm afraid it may have to be returned to us to figure out what the issue is. We have found your order on our system so will contact you via email.

ale.mas@hotmail.it

Post by ale.mas@hotmail.it » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:30 pm

i regret but i repeatdly tried it without any result. i wait your mail.
Thanks for the prompt support.
Best.

freda42

Post by freda42 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi,
I know the original post is quite old, but since I have the same / very similar problems to other people here, I thought I might just reply here rather than open a new thread.

I have a SainSmart Mega 2560 (a cheaper version of the original Arduino Mega 2560), which hasn't had any problems so far and seems to be completely compatible with the original Arduino. I run the version 1.0.5 of the IDE and bought this exact ethernet shield.

When I connect it to the Mega 2560 and to my router, and try the example code "Analogue Input Example" (making sure to uncomment the line "pinMode(53, OUTPUT);") and type the ip 192.168.178.199 (all other ips in my network including the router are also in the 192.168.178.xx range, I also tried with other ips in the range) into my browser, nothing happens. I have also tried 192.168.178.199:80 thinking that maybe the port was wrong, but that didn't work either.

Ping isn't working either.

The LEDs that are constantly on are the 4 on the bottom (PWR, LINK, 100M, FULLD), COLL is never on, while TX and RX occasionally flash. The little LED at the connector itself is also always on (except for short flashes when TX/RX flash on).

With some Serial.prints for debugging I have found out that the loop is entered, but the "if(ethernet)" condition is never met.

The dhcpAdressPriner example code provided in the arduino IDE is also not working, giving me the "Failed to configure Ethernet using DHCP" error.

I have also tried using an external power supply (12V, >250mA) instead of just powering the Mega + ethernet shield via USB, but this didn't make a difference either.

Is there anything else I could try or does this mean I have a faulty board?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed May 14, 2014 5:36 pm

The LED's are indicating that the shield is connected to your router OK at the MAC level. This is done automatically by the shield without any software interaction. So the problem is more likely do to with your mega not being able to communicate with the shield for some reason. Assuming the shield was either bought from us or is of identical design, the example sketch in the first post should work fine so it is fairly safe to rule out a software problem out. This leaves the physical connection from your mega to the shield as a possible cause. Can you make sure that the ICSP connector at the back of the shield is seated into your Mega correctly. Try gently pressing the ICSP connectors together in case there is a contact problem. You will need to press the reset button whilst doing this.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

freda42

Post by freda42 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:07 pm

I just pushed the ICSP connectors down and they went in quite a bit more, which made me think that might have been the problem, but no such luck. Neither the browser nor ping shows anything.

Is there any additional hardware setup required other than putting the shield on top for the mega? I already tried connecting pins 11-13 of the ethernet shield to pins 50-52 on the Mega since that is what most of the tutorials show, but I thought with these newer shields that wasn't needed.

freda42

Post by freda42 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:26 pm

I also retried checking the SD card functionality and while it didn't work before, now it does and the CardInfo example code runs smoothly. Ethernet is still not working though.

EDIT: also not working with the SD card removed and re-booted by the way.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu May 15, 2014 7:51 am

Nothing other than pushing the shield into the mega is required. There is no need to reroute any pins as the shield communicates via the ICSP header which is the same for both Uno and Mega's, assuming your SainSmart Mega conforms to the Arduino reference design, which I'm sure it will. The SD card interface also uses the ICSP header so if you are able to communicate with an SD card then this would imply that the connector is fine. This unfortunately leaves very little else to go wrong and I think the best next step would be returning the shield back to wherever you bought it from. If you bought it from us then just send an email to support at hobbycomponents.com referencing this discussion.

Return to “Arduino Shields”