Data Logger Shield (HCARDU0093)

chrisbw66

Re: Data Logger Shield (HCARDU0093)

Post by chrisbw66 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:26 pm

Thank you for your shortened program which just uses the RTC hardware.

I can confirm that I have uploaded this to my Arduino Uno and it doesn't display anything in the Serial Monitor Window at all when the program runs (also using 9600 baud as advised). I have also tried with a different CR1220 battery to see if this makes any difference but it didn't.

I'm guessing that this means that the RTC isn't working. Can I get this unit replaced with a working one ? How would I go about that please ?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:55 am

Yes, I think it's looking likely there is a problem with the shield. I think I've found you on our system but I'm going to DM you to confirm your details and we can sort it out from there.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

atbukc

Post by atbukc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:54 pm

After downloading and installing Arduino version 1.8.0 I get SD Card error messages despite no hardware changes, after much experimenting I changed the SD library to an olfder one downloaded from here https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-dat ... d-leonardo
and all is now working fine again, this is with a Hobbycomponents UNO+ board.
Hope this might help someone..

Andy

Gingerbloke

Post by Gingerbloke » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:44 am

Hi Andrew, this is a great little board and works fine on the Uno. Can you confirm that the modifications you suggested for the Mega are also required when using the Leonardo?
andrew wrote:The reason why the shield wont work on a Mega in its unmodified state is because it needs to use the I2C and the SPI interfaces on your Arduino board. As you are probably already be aware, these two interfaces are in a different location on a Mega compared to an Uno. Looking at the schematic it looks like you would need to do the following:...
For my application I found that the SD library used a bit too much SRAM on the Uno, but the extra half-a-kilobyte available on the Leonardo is perfect to cover my needs. I tried a smaller SDFat library with the Uno, which kind-of worked. https://github.com/greiman/SdFat. It reduced the memory footprint requirement but it also has significant restrictions, such as, it cannot create files, they must exist already on the SD card and cannot be resized. I think the better option is to add the hardware mods to the shield and use the extra memory of the Leonardo (32u4).

Thanks

John

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:02 am

Can you confirm that the modifications you suggested for the Mega are also required when using the Leonardo?
I'm afraid if you want to use the shield with a Leonardo you will also have to make modifications. For the I2C interface these can also be found on the two end pins of the 10 way header near the reset button (they are also on digital pins D2 & D3) on the Leonardo. For the SPI interface on a Leonardo this is only available via the 6 pin ICSP header. There is a pinnout of the SPI interface on the Arduino website here:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/reference/SPI
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Gingerbloke

Post by Gingerbloke » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:27 am

Thank you Andrew. The modifications should not be a problem.
Best regards, John.

iankds05

Post by iankds05 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 am

Hi,
I have managed with the help of posts from this site to get my Deek-Robot data logger shield to work on an Arduino Mega. Simple in the end but without the help from here I would have given up and confined the shield to the bin. Many thanks to one and all !! :D
One question I have is, can the DS1307 RTC on-board this shield, be interrogated at setup stage to establish its status and if it is indeed running. I have seen in other libraries that this can be done, but it seems that capability is not programmed into the HCRTC library. Can this function be included and if so how would I go about altering the HCRTC library files.
Any thought would be welcome

IK

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:24 am

One question I have is, can the DS1307 RTC on-board this shield, be interrogated at setup stage to establish its status and if it is indeed running. I have seen in other libraries that this can be done
I'm not exactly sure what the libraries you mention will be doing but if the device isn't working for some reason then there would be no response from it on the I2C bus. So you could just simply test if it is present by starting and then closing a transmission without sending or reading any data and then see if it closed without error.

I can't test this code right now but try adding this to the bottom of your sketch:

Code: Select all

boolean I2CTest()
{
  Wire.beginTransmission(0x68);
  if (Wire.endTransmission() == 0)
    return true;
  else
    return false;
}

And then do something like this to test if the device is working:

if (I2CTest())
    Serial.println("Device OK");
  else
    Serial.println("Error");

a.johnson

Post by a.johnson » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Hi, New to Arduino and need to build a data logger for a project.

I currently have this shield with Arduino uno R3.

when using the code supplied at the start of this thread I acquire the following error. I have noted this error has already arisen and added the line of code you supplied to amend this. This issue seemed to be down to the update of the IDE. If this has occurred again could you please look into this.

Error received:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

In file included from C:\Users\Adam\Documents\Arduino\libraries\sketch_jan05b\sketch_jan05b.ino:1:0:

C:\Users\Adam\Documents\Arduino\libraries\HCRTC/HCRTC.h:33:18: fatal error: wire.h: No such file or directory

#include "wire.h"

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Adam\Documents\Arduino\libraries\sketch_jan05b: C:\Users\Adam\Documents\Arduino\libraries\sketch_jan05b
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Adam\Documents\Arduino\libraries\sketch_jan05b: C:\Users\Adam\Documents\Arduino\libraries\sketch_jan05b

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Many Thanks,

AJ

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:40 am

I'm a little bit confused. The sketch in the first post was updated to include the #include <Wire.h>. I've just checked the sketch and it seems to compile ok. Do you have the following line at the top of your sketch?

#include <Wire.h>
If so can you tell me what version of Arduino IDE you are using?

Return to “Arduino Shields”