WeMos D1 Mini Pro ESP8266 Development Board (HCWEMO0002)

Wemos ESP8266 based development boards and shields
admin
Site Admin

WeMos D1 Mini Pro ESP8266 Development Board (HCWEMO0002)

Post by admin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:26 pm

DISCONTINUED:

This version of the Wemos D1 Mini Pro has now been succeeded by version 2 (HCWEMOS0018) and has now been discontinued. You can find the forum thread for the version 2 board here:

http://forum.hobbycomponents.com/viewto ... 111&t=2465

The WeMos D1 mini PRO is a miniature wireless 802.11 (Wifi) microcontroller development board. It turns the very popular ESP8266 wireless microcontroller module into a fully fledged development board. Programming the D1 mini pro is as simple as programming any other Arduino based microcontroller as the module includes a built in microUSB interface allowing the module to be programmed directly from the Arduino IDE (requires the ESP8266 support to be added via board manager) with no additional hardware.

The D1 mini Pro is also designed to allow Wemos compatible shields to be plugged into the board in a similar way to the Arduino development board platform, which greatly expands its capabilities. There is already a large range of compatible shields available and these can also be purchased via our website. Included with the module is a set of headers (requires soldering) that allow this shield to be easily added or removed from the D1 mini PRO.

Other features of the D1 Mini Pro include 11 digital input/output pins, 1 analogue input pin (3.2V Max), 16MB (128M bit) Flash, an external antenna connector, built in ceramic antenna and houses the new CP2104 US to UART IC. The D1 Pro is the same size as the D1 mini, but is lighter.

To quickly get going we have provided an Arduino setup guide on our blog site here:

http://blog.hobbycomponents.com/?p=594

Specification

Operating Voltage: 3.3V
Digital I/O Pins: 11
Analogue Pins: 1 (Max input 3.2V)
Clock Speed: 80MHz/160MHz
Flash: 16MB

Dimensions

Length: 34.2mm
Width: 25.6mm
Weight: 2.5g

Example Arduino Blink Sketch:

Code: Select all

/* Blink example - HobbyComponents.com */

#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>

#define PIN 2 // Flash the LED connected to GPIO2

void setup()

{

pinMode(PIN, OUTPUT); // Set the pin to an output

}

void loop()

{

digitalWrite(PIN, LOW); // Turn the LED on

delay(1000); // Wait for a second

digitalWrite(PIN, HIGH); // Turn the LED off

delay(1000); // Wait for another second

}

Drivers:

The Wemos D1 mini pro includes the Silicon Labs CP2104 USB to UART IC to allow it to programmed directly from the USB port of a computer. The latest VCP drivers for various operating systems can be downloaded from the Silicon Labs website here:

https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pag ... ivers.aspx

Schematic:
HCWEMO0002_Schematic.pdf

FAQ:

Does anything need to be done to switch between the built-in antenna and an external one?

Yes, there is a 0 ohm resistor (small black rectangular device marked with a 0). It's situated between the chip antenna and the uFL connector. In its default position it links the output antenna path from the IC to the built in chip antenna. This needs to be moved to the external antenna position.

Disclaimer: Libraries, example code, and diagrams are provided as an additional free service by Hobby Components and are not sold as part of this product. We do no provide any guarantees or warranties as to their accuracy or fitness for purpose.

Descriptions and diagrams on this page are copyright Hobby Components Ltd and may not be reproduced without permission.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pmw21

Re: WeMos D1 Mini Pro ESP8266 Development Board (HCWEMO0002)

Post by Pmw21 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:56 pm

Hello, I'm a complete novice at this, but if I purchase this and an OLED shield, what else do I need to have a fully functioning display system?

Do I need a power supply (which?), do I need leads or wires (which?), is there a little box I can put the whole thing in? Etc. Etc. I'm starting from scratch.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: WeMos D1 Mini Pro ESP8266 Development Board (HCWEMO0002)

Post by andrew » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:24 am

Do I need a power supply (which?)
You can power and program the D1 mini via a micro USB cable. You don't need an additional power supply or hardware unless you wish to power the D1 mini whilst not connected to a computer. If that's the case then you will need a standard 5V power adapter. I would recommend buying one with a current supply of at least 500mA/0.5A.

but if I purchase this and an OLED shield, what else do I need to have a fully functioning display system?
The OLED display plugs into the headers of the D1 mini and will also take its power from the D1. So again, you do not need any additional PSU or hardware other than mentioned in the previous answer.

do I need leads or wires (which?)
Only a micro USB cable unless you wish to power it externally and don't intend to connect anything other than the OLED shield. You will of course need a soldering iron to solder the supplied headers to both boards.

is there a little box I can put the whole thing in?
I don't know of any custom made cases for the D1 Mini. The most suitable project cases we have are as follows:

http://hobbycomponents.com/cases/729-ha ... 50x35x20mm

http://hobbycomponents.com/cases/816-ha ... e-80x40x20

Note for the smaller of the two the boards the D1 mini will just about fit but you will have to file one of the internal pillars slightly. You will also need to cut hole in the case for any wires and the OLED display.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Return to “WeMos”