Hobby Components 8x8x8 Cube Kit (HCKITS0050)

Hobby Component self build kits
Cube1

Re: Hobby Components 8x8x8 Cube Kit (HCKITS0050)

Post by Cube1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:25 pm

andrew wrote:
I take it that not even the 10mm LEDs are lighting up now either?
^^This is correct^^. I removed U3, the 10mm LEDs came on the first time I plugged it in, for a short period, alas, when I plugged it in and out again.... nothing. Couple of things to note, I had to place two smaller LEDs in two of the feet, as only two came in the kit, don't think it should make a difference, just giving a full picture. When I tap the pin circled on U2, the feet light up, and stay lighting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:48 am

I removed U3, the 10mm LEDs came on the first time I plugged it in, for a short period, alas, when I plugged it in and out again.... nothing.
When I tap the pin circled on U2, the feet light up, and stay lighting.
That pin controls a transistor which switches the base LEDs on and off so that makes sense. It also tells me that either there is a bad connection on that pin, or far more likely, the microcontroller isn't controlling the state of the LEDs because it's not running. If the the microcontroller isn't running then nothing would work and it would also make sense that the base LEDs would randomly turn on or off.

I think the next thing you need to do is to check the soldering of all the pins on U2 and components associated with it - R1, C2, C4, C13, C14, & X1. Check for pads missing solder, dry joins, and additionally for U2 that none of the pins of its IC socket have bent under the socket and not gone though the pads hole.

I had to place two smaller LEDs in two of the feet, as only two came in the kit
Sorry about that. If you could send an email about this to sales (at) hobbycomponents.com with your order number we'll sort it our for you.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Cube1

Post by Cube1 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:38 pm

andrew wrote: Sorry about that.
No worries mate, wasn't a dig just letting you know. I have checked all of those connections, all check out. I got a multimeter, is there anything I can check with that that might help?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:51 am

No worries mate, wasn't a dig just letting you know.
No a problem, if they were missing from the kit wecan replace them but probably best wait to see if we can get to the bottom of why your cube isn't working first.

Code: Select all

I got a multimeter, is there anything I can check with that that might help?
Yes, that would be helpful. I still suspect that the microcontroller isn't running for some reason so I'd like you to check its power supply and crystal pins. Can you set your meter to its voltage range and measure the voltage across the following pins:

Negative lead on U2 pin 8 and positive lead on U2 pin 7

Negative lead on U2 pin 22 and positive lead on U2 pin 20

Negative lead on U2 pin 8 and positive lead on U2 pin 9

Negative lead on U2 pin 8 and positive lead on U2 pin 10

Can you tell me what voltage you read for each of the 4 measurements above. If you need help in identifying the correct pins just let me know.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Cube1

Post by Cube1 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:29 pm

andrew wrote: Yes,that would be helpful.
Can you tell me what voltage you read for each of the 4 measurements above. If you need help in identifying the correct pins just let me know.
We actually bought a second kit and rebuilt it, as we need to finish for next week and do some programming on it ourselves for a team project in software development degree we are undertaking. We got the second cube built and functioning today, thank you for your help Andrew, I will be back onto you as soon as we finish our exams, to see can we get the first one sorted. Much appreciated. :geek:
We are going to try and implement this in a 3d fashion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wa-Tor , obviously we will only have one colour, but the pattern should be demonstrated, I'll keep you posted. :)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:40 am

I will be back onto you as soon as we finish our exams, to see can we get the first one sorted.
Ok, no problem
We are going to try and implement this in a 3d fashion
It looks looks similar to the game of life. It will be very interesting to see your what you manage to create.

geekazoide

Post by geekazoide » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:39 pm

Hi there, I seem to be having issues with my cube, similar to what Cube1 was having recently.

I've built it all up, but when powered on, the cube doesn't behave as expected. Each power on results in something different. Either the 4 white leds illuminate and nothing else, or nothing illuminates, or the 4 white leds turjn on dimly then eventually a couple of blue leds turn on etc.

I've checked my soldering, and pretty sure it's ok (though there's always the chance I may have missed something).
I completed the voltage checks you asked for with Cube1 a couple of weeks back. I read:

5V between pins 8+7 on U2,
5V between pins 22+20 on U2,
0.7V between pins 8+9 on U2,
0.4V between pins 8+10 on U2.

Also, the two tack switches (mode and reset) don't seem to do anything when pressed. I've checked the connection between the switches and the chip itself, and all seems good. The power supply is rated 9V at 2.0amps.

Any ideas?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed May 02, 2018 8:20 am

I believe you have also contacted us directly and the issue is being dealt with there.

Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi All, well I've finished my cube at last and after a Mod to the LED's it is working great. Please see attached pics. My only problem is that I can't upload. I am using the correct driver on Win 10 and have tried just about everything I can think of, if anyone can help with ideas I would be most grateful

IMG_0112.jpg
IMGBlue_0121.jpg
Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P"

Sketch uses 14222 bytes (46%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 123 bytes (6%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1925 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_796756/HC8x8x8_Play_Patterns.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM3
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x87
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:58 am

You cube looks great. I can't see anything wrong looking at the error message. I assume that you are using the programming cable supplied with the kit? If so are you aware that you will need to press the reset button on the cube at the exact point the Arduino IDE finishes compiling the sketch and attempts to upload it? This is necessary as the supplied cable doesn't have a DTR line which is normally used to reset the board so that the bootloader can restart. If that's not your issue can you check, and let me know the following:

1) In device manager can you find the entry for the cable and make sure there isn't a yellow caution symbol next to it.

2) In the Arduino IDE under Tools->board you have 'Arduino Nano' selected.

3) If you are using the latest version of the IDE there is an additional option under Tools->Processor. Can you make sure that this is set to 'ATMega328P (Old bootloader)'

4) Can you let me know which coloured wires on the cable are connected to which pins on the cube.

Return to “Kits”