Hobby Components 8x8x8 Cube Kit (HCKITS0050)

DIY kits and starter bundles
Ping Pong

Re: Hobby Components 8x8x8 Cube Kit (HCKITS0050)

Post by Ping Pong » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:08 am

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your help.

I am using the supplied lead and I have no problems in Device Manager. I have been resetting the cube when uploading ( it is a bit hard hitting the exact point between compiling and uploading).
The lead colour to pins are
Black=GND
Red=VCC
Green=TX
White=RX
Arduino Nano is selected in IDE as is ATMega328P (Old bootloader)
IDE Ver: 1.8.5
I'll get a magnifing glass out and check for dry joints on the socket pins and associated solder joints.

Steve

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:31 am

Thanks for your answers. Everything seems to be OK with your settings and the cable connections are correct so that can be ruled out at least. However I can replicate your error message by simply leaving either the Tx or Rx line disconnected so it is worth checking the soldering for these two pins. They directly connect to pins 2 & 3 on IC U2. Also make sure that the pins on the IC and socket haven't bent under.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi Andrew

Sorted, it must have been a dry joint on either RX or TX pin. I just resoldered both as they looked ok.
Thank you very much for the help.
Just want to make RGB 8*8*8 now.

If anyone is thinking about buying one of these kits, I highly recommend it. Great price, quick dispatch, quality parts, easy to follow instructions, looks bl**dy fantastic (especially in the dark) and a fast, knowledgeable support system, namely Andrew.

Steve

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:49 am

Glad you managed to get it working and thanks for the good feedback. It had to be something simple like that. There's a lot of pads to solder so it's very easy to miss something or get a dry joint. Sometimes you can get a hairline crack in the solder that's only visible using a microscope.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.