Hobby Components USB 8CH 24MHz Logic Analyser (HCTEST0006)

Hobby components test equipment
geeksteve

Re: Hobby Components USB 8CH 24MHz Logic Analyser (HCTEST000

Post by geeksteve » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:54 pm

domipheus wrote:
andrew wrote:The PID and VID are correct so I doubt your issue is the same. The fx2lafw driver in the first post should defiantly work on your windows 7 system. If you have a spare micro USB cable can you try it in case it's causing the problem. We do see problems caused by USB cables from time to time so it's worth a try.
I've tried multiple known good cables on both systems, the problem is definitely with the driver. Regardless of which executable is run, a command window flashes up, followed by windows 'this program might not have installed correctly' prompt. A command prompt flashes up momentarily, but disappears before you can see what it says, and the message does not appear when invoked from a command prompt. This occurs on both systems, both are x64 installs, fwiw.

(a manual inf install also fails)
Seeing the same on windows 8 x64.

To get it working on Ubuntu I had to tell udev to ignore it and unload the usbtest kernel module when I want to use it.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:06 pm

@geeksteve
Can you confirm the following:

That you have installed the driver available in the first post of this thread by downloading the zip file, unzipping it and double clicking the appropriate installer within the unzipped folder (either installer_x86.exe or installer_x64.exe depending on the version of your operating system).

In device manager do you see the logic analyser listed anywhere (try unplugging and plugging in the analyser to see if it appears anywhere). If so do you see any reported errors or a caution symbol beside it?
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

geeksteve

Post by geeksteve » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:44 pm

andrew wrote:@geeksteve
Can you confirm the following:

That you have installed the driver available in the first post of this thread by downloading the zip file, unzipping it and double clicking the appropriate installer within the unzipped folder (either installer_x86.exe or installer_x64.exe depending on the version of your operating system).

In device manager do you see the logic analyser listed anywhere (try unplugging and plugging in the analyser to see if it appears anywhere). If so do you see any reported errors or a caution symbol beside it?
Installer just flashes up a command prompt and vanishes again. I manually installed the driver, but it then says it's not compatible with the device. It's the right thing in device manager, the VID and PID match.

AshHalfheart

Post by AshHalfheart » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:22 pm

Having the same issue but have a little more information to add:

The command prompt that flashes up actually says that:

"This application can not be run from the command line.
Please use your initial installer application if you want to install the driver."

I had a few little tricks up my sleeve... so from driver manager (where the device is shown as unknown) I chose to install from disc and pointed to the setup fx2lafw.inf file but unfortunately was met by another message:

'Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

fx2lafw

A problem was encountered while attempting to add the driver to the store.

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software.'

I hope this extra information helps you guys resolve this issue for those of us on win 8 OS.

Ash

edit: changed fx1 to fx2 typo
Last edited by AshHalfheart on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geeksteve

Post by geeksteve » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:24 pm

^ Thats what I got ^

Didn't have time to write it all down as I was doing sneaky home stuff at work...

AshHalfheart

Post by AshHalfheart » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:53 pm

That's cool Steve, I've been playing around a little more and found that on Win 8 you have to disable a startup setting to be able to install unsigned drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPm_6aejOlo

I then installed from the inf as I previously posted.

-----

New issue now though, possibly still driver related...

In the device scanner the analyser is showing up as 'Cypress FX2 with 16 channels' when I have the 8 channel device. Could this be the issue?

Is this the same issue you are experiencing Steve?

Ash

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:36 pm

@AshHalfheart @geeksteve

I don't have access to a windows 8 computer at the moment but I'll take a look at the problem when I get into the office tomorrow.

@AshHalfheart

It's normal for it to see 16 channels. If you think you have the driver installed ok it could be a problem with the current nightly build of PulseView. Could you try this version as I know it works ok:

http://www.hobbycomponents.com/download ... taller.exe
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

AshHalfheart

Post by AshHalfheart » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:22 am

Just reinstalled your linked build of PulseView and I'm still having the same issue.

I could pop over tomorrow and let you have a look if you think seeing it in person would help you iron out any issues?

Since we installed manually with the inf instead of with the installers, I've included another screenshot that may help track down if the driver files were installed fully.

Thanks
Ash

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:31 pm

I've just set up a clean windows 8 install and I can replicate the problem. The driver does install correctly (with driver signature enforcement disabled) but there seems to be an issue when PulseView tries to talk to the driver causing the it to lock up or disappear. This is very odd and I've not seen this issue before. I'm currently looking through the bug reports on the Sigrock website to see if I find a clue as to the problem.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Sorry about this, I'm now starting to suspect there may be a bug in PulseView that's causing a lock up when communicating with the driver (Libusb) on windows 8. I still don't think it's an issue with the driver itself. Both the current build of PulseView and the driver work perfectly on Windows 7 32 & 64 bit so its something different about Windows 8 that's showing up the problem. I'm still looking into it but I should point out that if working on windows 8 is a must and there is no immediate solution we will offer the option of a refund.

Return to “Test Equipment”