Hobby Components USB 8CH 24MHz Logic Analyser (HCTEST0006)

Hobby components test equipment
andrew
Site Admin

Re: Hobby Components USB 8CH 24MHz Logic Analyser (HCTEST000

Post by andrew » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:16 am

I've no idea why it would have those VID and PID's. My only guess is that it is something that was left in by the factory. I've sent you an email so hopefully we can have this problem fixed quickly.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

MartynHill

Post by MartynHill » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:21 pm

Thank you Andrew!

The instructions and links to latest downloads you sent via PM has done the trick with this device - re-flashed with the FX2 image.

After all my previous messing about, I had to dig-deep in to Windows to expunge the previous driver files and associated INF files before the final step of loading the FX2 drivers would succeed and then allow PulseView to recognise the device - which now appears as 'Cypress FX2' in the analyser.

That was fun - thanks again!

Terrific support and service - for what is unlikely to be a particularly profitable sale for HC!

I'll make sure to rate that in my eBay feedback :-)

Happy weekend!
M.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:22 am

That's great. Glad we managed to find a solution and sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

domipheus

Post by domipheus » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:47 pm

Can these additional steps and firmware flash be made public? The driver does not install on win7 or win10 (it results in a failed install, and manual inf install fails too).

Reports as USB\VID_04B4 & PID_8613, but the driver on the original thread just fails to install anything.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:32 am

The PID and VID are correct so I doubt your issue is the same. The fx2lafw driver in the first post should defiantly work on your windows 7 system. If you have a spare micro USB cable can you try it in case it's causing the problem. We do see problems caused by USB cables from time to time so it's worth a try.

domipheus

Post by domipheus » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:40 pm

andrew wrote:The PID and VID are correct so I doubt your issue is the same. The fx2lafw driver in the first post should defiantly work on your windows 7 system. If you have a spare micro USB cable can you try it in case it's causing the problem. We do see problems caused by USB cables from time to time so it's worth a try.
I've tried multiple known good cables on both systems, the problem is definitely with the driver. Regardless of which executable is run, a command window flashes up, followed by windows 'this program might not have installed correctly' prompt. A command prompt flashes up momentarily, but disappears before you can see what it says, and the message does not appear when invoked from a command prompt. This occurs on both systems, both are x64 installs, fwiw.

(a manual inf install also fails)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:05 pm

The drivers have been tested with both 32 and 64 bit versions of windows 7 so I'm a little puzzled as to why there is an issue. In device manager do you see the analyser listed? For a correct install it is usually under 'Universal Serial Bus devices' as fx2lafw. Do you see it there or anywhere else and if so is it reporting any errors?

domipheus

Post by domipheus » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:33 pm

We've had a breakthrough! On the windows 7 machine it was coming up as unknown device; The inf would not be accepted in the update drivers 'have disk' box, but amazingly, it found a driver on windows update which worked. I think that's the first time finding a driver via windows update has _ever_ worked :)

Anyway, am now tinkering, many thanks! After the driver installed it worked first time capturing some UART traffic.

Cheers!

oduffy

Post by oduffy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi All,

I purchased the 8 channel one from ebay a few days ago, installed the latest pulseview windows 7 executable and the driver on the hobby electronics github repo and everything works fine in the sense that the analyzer is picking up signals etc. However, there is an issue where pulseview just stops sampling. So it will run after clicking 'run' for about 30 - 50 seconds and then just stops. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this before and if anyone had any ideas as to the cause? Fantastic tool by the way, getting what seem to be very accurate readings! Many thanks

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:41 am

It could simply be a bad USB cable. If you have a spare one could you try that. Also if your plugging it into a USB HUB try plugging it directly into your computer.

Return to “Test Equipment”